Bishop Garrigan Schools
Bishop Garrigan Schools are dedicated to providing quality, parish supported, value centered Catholic education to students and families of north central Iowa. ...We seek to achieve a balance between Christian social conscience and academic excellence through a combination of belief in God, service to our fellow human brings, intellectual preparation, and physical development.
Bishop Garrigan Chapel Project
Bishop Garrigan Schools has always been so blessed and continues to be blessed by all of your support. This support has been shown again and again over the years for the various projects to improve our schools. Today, it is shown by some wonderful new developments at BGS.
Through recent estate gifts and other gifts, Bishop Garrigan Schools has been able to add to our endowment as well as our tuition assistance program for students wanting a Catholic education. One of these gifts will enable us to build an all-weather running track, providing a top quality facility to hold our own meets, serving our school today and for many generations to come.
Even more exciting is the plan for a new chapel on the Bishop Garrigan campus. With the recent closing of the St. Benedict Church, their parish has generously donated many items to Bishop Garrigan for preservation. We will restore and re-use the stained glass windows from the St. Benedict Church in our Garrigan campus chapel project. The stained glass window project will cost $100,000, and members of their parish have already raised $40,000 in cash gifts and have a total of $85,000 pledged towards the project. Bishop Garrigan can now focus on the remaining cost to build a new chapel.
Why do we need a new chapel?
- Grades 4-8 have shifted out to the Bishop Garrigan campus, making the current chapel size and location inadequate for serving our students.
- St. Cecelia Church is no longer accessible to these grades as in past years.
- Small size and location in the midst of classrooms does not fulfill present needs.
- High school students use the chapel much more compared to past generations at Garrigan.
- Students and teachers desire to have more events such as the rosary, Stations of the Cross, special masses, and quiet reflection in a larger setting other than a gym to enhance the sacredness of such activities.
- As the number of priests has declined, the importance of laity has grown, and the mission to keep our faith & Catholic identity vibrant to create active parishioners is more important now than ever.
- Chapel will provide a wonderful place for our students to grow their faith.
The new chapel is projected to cost $500,000 and Bishop Garrigan has already received a $50,000 gift to kick off the chapel project. We welcome other monetary gifts from those who feel the importance and passion for our Catholic faith. I would love to visit with you if you are interested in contributing to this chapel project. By the grace of God and with your help, the new Bishop Garrigan chapel will soon become a reality.
Contact Mindy Laubenthal in the Bishop Garrigan Development Office at 515-395-3525 if you would like to donate to the chapel project.